Slicing-errors on an owl-model

Tutorius

Slicing-errors on an owl-model

Post by Tutorius »

Hi,
i really like KISSlicer, and use it very often. But when slicing an owl model (from Thingiverse, https://www.thingiverse.com/thing:693371 ) in the original size, i get some slicing errors. The errors are visible on some layers, but mostly invisible when printing the model, cause they are in the inside.

But at the face of the owl, there is a concave form, and the errors are visible. I first thought it was some nozzle oozing, but found the lines are inside the gcode-file.
kissslicer001.jpg
kissslicer001.jpg (32.98 KiB) Viewed 3678 times
This is one visible slicing-error

kissslicer002.jpg
kissslicer002.jpg (29.57 KiB) Viewed 3678 times
An other visible slicing-error

kissslicer003.jpg
kissslicer003.jpg (22.08 KiB) Viewed 3678 times
This slicing-error is invisible after printing cause its inside the model

I hope this errors can be of some help developing this software...

Hartmut
Tutorius

Re: Slicing-errors on an owl-model

Post by Tutorius »

I forgot to write what version i am using. I use the 1,5-version under linux.

kissslicer.jpg
kissslicer.jpg (28.67 KiB) Viewed 3676 times
pjr

Post by pjr »

1. Upgrade to the latest version of KISS which is a little more tolerant with errors in the model.

2. The model is not good. You should attempt to repair it with NetFabb or similar (Win10 3D builder is apparently a good repair tool).

Many slicers attempt to fix or simply ignore errors of this nature. KISS at least allows you to see the model errors (open "Mesh Error Window") so that you have the opportu=nity to properly fix them.

Peter
Tutorius

Post by Tutorius »

I think i have the newest version of KISslicer on my system, the 1.5. The model show no errors when loading, and no other tool can detect any problems with the owl model.

So i do not know how to fix it. Is there a roadmap to a new version of KISslicer in the near future?

Thanks for your answers
pjr

Post by pjr »

Tutorius wrote:I think i have the newest version of KISslicer on my system, the 1.5. The model show no errors when loading, and no other tool can detect any problems with the owl model.

So i do not know how to fix it. Is there a roadmap to a new version of KISslicer in the near future?

Thanks for your answers
1.6 has been out for some time, now on RC2.5 Check out the beta release forum. "Official release Dropbox <-- DOWNLOADS" under the releases forum.

You should be able to get hold of netfabb basic or just run the model through makeprintable.com

Peter
Tutorius

Post by Tutorius »

I checked the model with blender and meshlab, and both showed no problems. I examined the model to see visual if there is something showing up in the face-part, but all verticies and planes looked good to me.

I will give the new version a try...

Hartmut
Tutorius

Post by Tutorius »

Wow, the new 1.6 is so nice, i love it...

It does not create these things as the 1.5 had done with the owl model, and it has so much nice new features, congratulations to the developers!

So this "bug report" can be markes as closed ... :)
pjr

Post by pjr »

Tutorius wrote:Wow, the new 1.6 is so nice, i love it...

It does not create these things as the 1.5 had done with the owl model, and it has so much nice new features, congratulations to the developers!

So this "bug report" can be markes as closed ... :)
Yes, 1.6 is way better than 1.5 for many reasons. Although it still shows that the model has errors, it does handle those errors much better.

Peter
frozen.rabbit

Post by frozen.rabbit »

KS 1.5 Win64 and 1.6 Win64 flags the model with errors. The model has 12 overlapping/intersecting faces. Detected by running the model through 3DS Max and using the error checking tools it has.

That is what causes path errors like that, been manually repairing that problem on models for years.

I have yet to see an application correctly repair these small face errors.