32-bit Windows versions crash on startup

JeffH

32-bit Windows versions crash on startup

Post by JeffH »

Hi, new to 3D printing and running Kisslicer with great sucess under Linux Mint on my desktop PC. Now I want to run the 32 bit version on an older Win XP laptop in the workshop. Have tried v1.1 and 1.5 with same result on laptop XP, and on desktop using Wine, WinXP in Virtualbox and WinXP on bare metal. It fails almost instantly reporting REPNE as an illegal instruction. This instruction is sandwiched between FMULS, FADD instructions and a call to MsgWaitForMultipleObjects in User32. All DLLs listed in the dependency tree are present on both systems. Unfortunately my debugging skills are not up to a deeper analysis yet. I have tried the OpenGL32_Mesa_7_2.dll but it made no difference. The only thought I have is that it might be down to using older processors that do not support the latest instruction set. The desktop uses an AMD Athlon XP 1900+ and the laptop is a year or two older than that. Suggestions welcome. Regards, Jeff

Update 17-Oct-16: Tested v1.5 on another PC with Intel Core i5-2400 CPU @ 3.10GHz, 4 Cores, 4 Logical Processors, running XP in VMware on Win7 host, ran perfectly. So it kind of looks like a hardware issue.