Printing Solid Infill where no Solid is Expected or Desired

McNugget6750

Printing Solid Infill where no Solid is Expected or Desired

Post by McNugget6750 »

Hi all,

I encountered an issue that I also see with large negative overhangs. Kis produces a lot of unnecessary solid infill "spots" where they are not required or where the model no even has a hint why is should be there. See my example. It's a plate with straight up holes.
Capture.PNG
I need to mention, I did not activate / use fractional loops (which might explain the behavior even though it would be even more undesired).

Any ideas what is happening and how to fix it? I'm using KisSlicer PRO version 2 a 0.4.4 Win64.

Cheers,
Timo
McNugget6750

Re: Printing Solid Infill where no Solid is Expected or Desi

Post by McNugget6750 »

Please also note, that IF I activate fractional loops and set it to 2.5, every layer with 3 loops looks fine, while every layer with 2 looks awkward - which would supports my theory that this is a bug.
Capture2.PNG
Please don't be confused. I DID NOT activate fractional loops for my first post.
McNugget6750

Post by McNugget6750 »

Also note, if I ONLY use 3 loops and no fractions, the slice looks fine! This only seems to be happening with one or two loops.

Here is a picture with only one loop - this will take forever to print and the holes will look ugly.
Capture3.PNG
McNugget6750

Post by McNugget6750 »

I'm sorry for answering my own question but I already found the solution since I went through the issue systematically here with you...

The problem is caused by the setting Skin Thickness which I set to 1mm. However, the way it is implemented, specifically when set to 1mm with 0.4mm extrusion width puzzles me. The first picture I posted makes absolutely no sense from a printing point of view and will take an incredible amount of time due to head motion, vibration, retraction and so on and so forth. The actual strength gain is minimal.

But maybe I'm missing the point and this feature is useful for some people?
McNugget6750

Post by McNugget6750 »

I just realized something, after I thought I''m being clever just setting Skin Thickness to 0mm...
I completely loose the top and bottom solid layers! Setting it to 0 cleans up all the mess and garbage inside of the print but unfortunately, also removes top and bottom.

I therefore request (and I'll post that into the feature request section) to split this out.
  • Num Top Solid Layers
  • Num Bottom Solid Layers
  • Horizontal Skin Thickness
Cheers,
Timo

ps. I suppose the above is a bug! Inner skin thickness should be solved by loops, not solid infill splattered around an otherwise clean print.
McNugget6750

Post by McNugget6750 »

This is actually a feature that has been requested for a long time now. However, the most interesting information is in this post:
viewtopic.php?f=13&t=334&p=6756#p976

Is essentially says, as long as Skin Thickness = 2x Extrusion Width there are no rounding errors and the sputtered solid infill sections don't appear if #Loops >= 2

Cheers,
Timo
pjr

Post by pjr »

Hi Timo

As I was reading your posts, I was thinking "Skin Thickness" but I have never see this situation as I use 0.6mm for that setting and so I had (wrongly) assumed that it related to upper and lower skins only.

The post you link to is 4 years old and many things have changed since then, so I think it best not to think that is particularly relevant now.

I will, however add this request to the feature list.

Thanks

Peter
McNugget6750

Post by McNugget6750 »

Awesome, thank you very much!
McNugget6750

Re: Printing Solid Infill where no Solid is Expected or Desired

Post by McNugget6750 »

The problem still exists in the current build!