Spiral Vase

626Pilot

Spiral Vase

Post by 626Pilot »

The one thing I can't do with KISSlicer is print spiral vases. I have to use slic3r for that, which is a pain because slic3r takes AGES to do anything.

The idea is pretty simple. You print the first layer normally. After that, the hot end is moved around in a slowly climbing spiral, so rather than print layer-lift-print layer-lift, it's just one long strand of filament going all the way up. You get no seams or retraction side-effects anywhere. This is useful for printing single-wall vases, especially with T-GLASE.
SonnyToft

Re: Spiral Vase

Post by SonnyToft »

Under the Style tab.
Pull the Infill slider all the way to the right, then it will change to Vase.

Rgs
Sonny
mhackney

Post by mhackney »

+1 on 626Pilot's request plus an addition...

Sonny, KISS' Vase style does not do a continuous spiral, it prints each layer one at a time with a new beginning and end on each layer. 6s6Pilot's request is for a continuous helical bead with one start at the base and an end at the top of the part. This will be even more powerful with new hotends like E3D-Systems' Volcano which is designed to print large nozzles (.8mm etc). Large vases with a Volcano will be fast to print, strong and look fantastic with no seam line!

Now my addition...
I'd also like a spiral fill option for shell layers (top and bottom). My 3D printed fly reel is a perfect example of where this would be useful.

Cheers,
Michael
SonnyToft

Post by SonnyToft »

I actually thought vase was doing the right spiral thing.
My mistake. :oops:

Forget everything is wrote.

Rgs
Sonny
Ronin

Post by Ronin »

Hello!

Any news about Spiral Vase? Have to use Slic3r for that =(
brasshopper

Post by brasshopper »

Cura also does a "real" vase mode. Not that I see that as helpful here, just an alternative to using SLIC3R to get a spiral vase mode. At least one other slicer I have tried, CraftWare, fails to have a real vase mode.