Better positioning of a part (rotation about x-y-z)

dorbar

Better positioning of a part (rotation about x-y-z)

Post by dorbar »

I would request-suggest one feature that KISSlicer is really missing. When you position a part on a print table a must have addition would be to arbitrary rotate a part around all three axes. Sometimes you need to turn your part in a way that, first fits in the printing envelope and second to avoid excessive overhangs and thus supports.

Thanks,
D.
Isaac_alaska

Re: Better positioning of a part (rotation about x-y-z)

Post by Isaac_alaska »

actually, this is already a feature! it's just not real simple. rotation always happens about the Z axis, but you can rotate about the Z axis and then set a new axis to be "up", which will effectively rotate it about something other than the actual Z axis. play with it and i think you'll see what i mean!
dorbar

Post by dorbar »

Hi Isaac you're right... but this is not it. This method is very time consuming and if you have two or more models on a platform... a nightmare. Other s/w have a "globe" like feature, so you can rotate about all three major axis at the same time. This way, you can position your models very accurately.

THX anyway!

Cheers, D.
coredump

Post by coredump »

I am bumping this because that should totally be a thing. A better/flexible way to rotate/organize models would be great. Sometimes you have to do 4 operations to try and fit the model the way you want.

Also, being able to move models around the plate without them being automatically arranged would be great.
pjr

Post by pjr »

Rotation is already on the feature request list for V2 here: viewtopic.php?f=5&t=2006

Peter
coredump

Post by coredump »

Ah, my bad, I didn't see that post before. Thanks!
JeanBrewer

Post by JeanBrewer »

I totally agree with you. This method is very time consuming and if you have two or more models on a platform! Thanks for sharing!
Kopje

Post by Kopje »

The position of a point after some rotation about the origin can simply be obtained by multiplying its coordinates with a matrix. I am really doubtful you could find it at online dissertation abstract assistance.