untimely closing of windows at startup

statis

untimely closing of windows at startup

Post by statis »

Hello everyone
I went on Debian 9 mate and when I run the executable, I have different settings dialogs that appear their first launch and the main window opens to close immediately after.
There is no error message that appears when I run the software through the terminal.
I'm using KISSlicer 1.6.3 Stable 64-bit version (May 08, 2018) recovered from the page http://www.kisslicer.com/download-v16-stable.html
An idea of what's going on?

I tried launch with terminal, after windows closing "segment fault" appear...
Last edited by statis on 12 Jan 2019, 17:08, edited 1 time in total.
statis

Re: untimely closing of windows at startup

Post by statis »

It is the movement of the mouse that generates the closing of the window.
If the mouse does not move, the window remains open ...
Strange and typical bug in Debian 9 (Mate, I did not try the other desktop version) because in test on Fedora 29 and Manjaro KDE the problem is not present.
statis

Post by statis »

addition test :

Redhat
Fedora 29 ok

Arch.linux
Manjaro xcfe ok

Debian
Trisquel 8 ok
Ubuntu 16 ok
Ubuntu 18 ko
Mint 19 mate ko
Debian 9 mate ko

What append with new Debian's OS version ?
statis

Re: untimely closing of windows at startup [dead]

Post by statis »

Source of the problem found

Tests on other Linux distributions have shown that Kisslicer encounters incompatibilities with the Radeon X1950 card and its R520_cp.bin driver.
For Kisslicer to work properly it is necessary to use a generic driver which does not activate all the functions of this graphic card.
I think it's the hardware acceleration part that is in conflict with Kisslicer but it's just an appreciation.
This poses problems with other software that needs it.
The Radeon X1950 and its R520_cp.bin driver work well with other even more complex 3D rendering software such as Blender.
This card is rare, I do not think the team Kisslicer can lose money in research so I advise anyone wanting to use their software to find another graphics card.
It would be nice if the Kisslicer team communicates a list of Linux-compatible graphics cards that do not have any problems with their software.
For information...
drracer

Post by drracer »

There are major synchronization issues when using multithreaded access in the nouveau drivers for nVidia cards which result in random driver crashes -> closing the OpenGL context and killing the application. KDE/Qt applications may be forced to SW OpenGL (set LIBGL_ALWAYS_SOFTWARE=1) which enables running KMail, QtCreator and similar stuff.
Forcing SW OpenGL for 3D-heavy apps like slicers or 3D modelling tools is not a good option though :( .