Z-seam "corner" position

MatejEU

Z-seam "corner" position

Post by MatejEU »

Hi everyone ;)
Previously I've used different slicers like Simplify3D, Cura, ideaMaker, Slic3r (both editions) and now I've started playing with the KISSlicer.
From a get go, software satisfied my needs to have many adaptive settings available and that is really awesome 8-)

Since I don't do any post processing of my prints, at least at the moment, positioning the Z-seam in corners is very important to me. From all of the slicers that I've used, only Cura and Slic3r perform this task in a reliable way. S3D and iM do not even support it. Unfortunately, I'm not able to get satisfactory results with KISSlicer (1.6.2) in that regard. I've skimped over the manual for ver. 1.5 and watched Mr. Hackney's video about perimeters and loops. But, the Z-seam alignment "corner" feature remained elusive to me :cry:

I'm using "Mascot Phil a Ment"[1] model from Thingiverse, scaled down to 40mm. The model itself has many corners, both inner and outer ones, that KISS could use to place the seam. But, that is not the case :roll: What I have concluded is, that KISS has a low "corner threshold" value and ends up prioritising position of the seam angle per layer basis. I'll give an example; if I use the default angle of 45°, the Z-seam will be placed almost exclusively at that angle (red line) [img1]. But, if I use value of 90°, the Z-seam will "hit" some of the corners (red circle) [img2] showing that it "prefers" to stay close to the angle intersection position :? Playing with other settings, like Jitter, or perimeter order print, didn't produce better results. I've added my current settings [sett1].

Any advice is welcome.
Thank you, Matej

[1] https://www.thingiverse.com/thing:2557603
[img1] Angle 45°
angle45
angle45
zseam1.png (82.42 KiB) Viewed 1237 times
[img2] Angle 90°
angle90
angle90
zseam2.png (101.41 KiB) Viewed 1237 times
[sett1] Matej Settings
settings1
settings1
settings1.JPG (75.36 KiB) Viewed 1237 times
MatejEU

Re: Z-seam "corner" position

Post by MatejEU »

I think that I'm onto something :) I won't edit my first post, too much text in it already.

I've managed to improve results by setting Jitter to 360°where it will (mostly) select outer corners for the seam placement. Btw. Why doesn't it use inner corners?
It seems that the "Unsupported Section Tinting" [img1] is causing me these issues. In this path region(s) it won't place seams and "coincidentally" these regions are covering corners, thus forcing it to choose some random position while _disregarding_ corners [img2]! In the image 2, you're able to see that it will place seam points on positions with no features (yellow), disregarding possible corners in the same layer (red). But, it won't always use random position [img3] (orange). On the other side of the model, there is a same model feature on which it will place a seam (red). This is really not predictable behaviour and it is really confusing! :|

So, how do I eliminate "Unsupported Section Tinging" and what does that actually represent? I've googled and searched this forum, no useful information found :evil:

[img1] Unsupported Section Tinting
Unsupported Section Tinting
Unsupported Section Tinting
[img2] Random seam
Random seam
Random seam
random_seam.png (245.95 KiB) Viewed 1233 times
[img3] Random vs Corner
Random vs Corner
Random vs Corner
random_vs_corner.png (20.06 KiB) Viewed 1233 times
MatejEU

Re: Z-seam "corner" position

Post by MatejEU »

To continue the trend 8-)

I've tested this behaviour in version 1.5. A "good" thing is that is doesn't implement the "Unsupported Section Tinting" feature, thus the whole model is included when choosing a Z-seam position.
Unfortunately, KISSlicer doesn't support Z-seam corner placement (1.6 stable) :!: There is honestly no need to even mention that as a feature. When Jitter is set above a certain value, e.g. 45°, it can be enabled internally and that is it. Potential buyers should be aware of this!

If someone finds a remedy, please post it ;)