Sparse infill where not expected

sinned6915

Sparse infill where not expected

Post by sinned6915 »

Greetings all-

I was watching Michael Hackney's tutorial on Perimeters and Loops and printed the 75mm test disc. The purpose is to get the first layer printed with the perimeter, loops and infill to see the effects of the settings. I decided to modify the disc by making it into an annulus so I could see the effects on a 'inside' surface and and print it faster. I imported it into 3D Builder and subtracted out a cylinder.

When I brought it into KISSlicer, a curious thing showed up- it identified some areas of 'sparse infill' around the inside perimeter, outside the perimeter, away from the infill.

Here is a screenshot-
Overall View
Overall View
donut-overall.PNG (59.71 KiB) Viewed 1498 times
Here is a detail of the lower right quadrant, rotated to show more area:
Rotated detail
Rotated detail
donut-detail.PNG (33.17 KiB) Viewed 1498 times
What I don't understand is why these sections are getting flagged outside of the part boundary. If it was some sort of mathematical anomaly, I would expect it to show up in some sort of predictable geometric pattern where the infill intersects the perimeters or loops.

Sparse infill describes infill inside of a part right?

Best regards,

Dennis
sinned6915

Re: Sparse infill where not expected

Post by sinned6915 »

Even though its bad form to solve/reply to your own posts, I am putting the answer here incase anyone else comes across it. The problem arose because I modified an existing stl file, not generating one from scratch. I ended up with a bad mesh that needed healing.

When KISSlicer noted the issue, I ran the modified model through both S3D and Cura. Neither one complained about the model, so therefore I assumed that the issue was within KISSlicer.

After contacting Michael about it, I generated the same dimensional part with OpenSCAD. KISSlicer did not complain about the model and it printed up just fine.

Comparing the two prints of the different meshes/gcode, I was unable to tell any difference in print quality.

However, there were slight printing time differences between the two gcode files. The total times were the same, but the individual path times were different in the hundreth;s and smaller.
frozen.rabbit

Post by frozen.rabbit »

Are you referring to the light green sections to the inside? Those are not paths, those are error flags. If you switch from Models+Paths view to Paths, those should not show. The slice doesn't look like it was disturbed by the errors. The line that is 90 degrees from the light green is face orientation.
sinned6915

Post by sinned6915 »

Thanks for your help frozen.rabbit

Yes, I am referring to the light green paths on the inside. I did not understand them to be errors, I interpreted them as paths. That is why I was looking at the Path's key. Looking at the Mesh Error Key now, I see that the colors are very close. I need to learn to identify them better.