First layer settings

Dismantled

First layer settings

Post by Dismantled »

I usually print the first layer thinner and with higher flow rate than the rest of the part and obtain the result adjusting Z offset and Bed Roughness.
With the old versions of ks was easy; but now with step over control is not anymore becuase the offset is fixed, but is applied to layer with different thick.
As result the the thickenss and flow rate are not repetitive. Some time i had a negative z high of first layer.

Even setting a minimum thickness for the first slice did't solved my problem. It saved from negative z high but, the flow of the first layer was not predictible as the adhesion of the part to the bed.

So my question is there is a way to set a fixed thickness for the firs layer?
To have print after print, all the time the same settings of thickness and flowrate?

Have some other this problem and how did you solved?

Andrea
pjr

Re: First layer settings

Post by pjr »

Well, there's probably a few solutions to this, but I usually do the opposite.

My first layer height is set to a minimum of 0.2mm - usually with a nozzle gap about 0.17mm on the first layer, to ensure that a decent volume is extruded.

I find that the bed is not usually level/flat enough to have a first layer height of less than 0.2mm and achieve a good stick.

However, if you need your nozzle to be closer to the bed for the first layer and you don't have minimum Z limits, you can do something along the lines of this:

Code: Select all

G28    ; Home all axes
G1 Z0.1 F300    ; Move Z to 0.1mm above the bed
G92 Z0.15        ; Tell the printer that the Z axis is at 0.15mm, when really it's only 0.1...
This will fool the printer into thinking that the nozzle is 50 microns closer to the bed than it is.

This will have the same effect as setting Z Offset in Settings/Printer/Hardware to -0.05mm

Peter