Extruder trouble, maybe

Adm3

Extruder trouble, maybe

Post by Adm3 »

Hello.
I have been using Kisslicer 2 years ago with PLA, then I stoped printing.
Now I need to print a part so I changed Jhead to this all metal ebay hotend and PETG filament.
I use 3mm filament and 0,3mm nozzle, 230°C. Bed without heat...
It looks like the filament is not coming out as one string, but many short pieces, for every 1mm in hight, on this model.
I can't locate any gears that rotate slower for every 1mm. Wades extruder gear is turning once for every 0,4mm ( 2 layers) on this model.
Not sure if my observation is right.
I remember in the begining with Kisslicer I typed different number for Suck and lower number for Prime, so all my models were almost transparent at the top.
Now Prime and Suck are the same.

Is there something wrong with settings, or is it mechanical or maybe cooling of the all metal hotend is to bad? That´s why I'm trying to print a fan duct.
The first 5mm on the bottom looks fine.
It was a long night :-) I was sitting with scissors and trimming all the "hairy" stuff above each layer.

Thanks
Attachments
DSC_0135.JPG
DSC_0135.JPG (90.61 KiB) Viewed 1171 times
EddyMI3D

Re: Extruder trouble, maybe

Post by EddyMI3D »

Hello Adm3,

maybe you should heat up a bit more. 230°C is recommended as lower limit for PETG.
Print some test cubes while heating up for 5°C for each cube. You can go up to 265°C.
Maybe this help.

Eddy
Adm3

Re: Extruder trouble, maybe

Post by Adm3 »

Thanks Eddy

I can try that, but I need a fan duct first for more concentrated cooling. I hope I can use the one I printed last night.
I noticed that without fan the filament gets soft inside the hotend all the way up and expands because of pressure from extruder and stops coming out of the nozzle.