This slicer is far from simple =)

sLpFhaWK

This slicer is far from simple =)

Post by sLpFhaWK »

I am trying out KISS Slicer based on MHackney's quality that I've seen in person. He told me about this months ago but I'm lazy and I am just now getting to it, but compared to simplify 3d it is far more difficult to get right.

My 1st prints honestly weren't too bad, but since I've changed some settings I can tell they aren't correct, so I am turning to the forum to help Diagnose these issues.

I am printing one of his Valentines boxes as a test, so I can compare mine to his as they were printed on very similar printers.

So the item I am printing is this. http://www.thingiverse.com/thing:240222

His is in green, and here are my attempts.
Top is His print, 2nd is mine printed with S3d 3rd and 4th are printed on mine with KISS Slicer.
Top is His print, 2nd is mine printed with S3d 3rd and 4th are printed on mine with KISS Slicer.
Top light green is his, printed on his ultibots d300vs delta with a duet wifi. 2,3 and 4 all in red are mine. 2 is printed with Simplify 3d, 3rd, 4th and 5th are printed with Kiss Slicer. 3 is the best and that was with mostly stock settings 4 and 5 I think I changed GAP, unchecked the use corners box, and prime and suck.

Now for box #4 I had prime 4.20 in there thinking it was needed after a suck 4.25, but I don't think prime is needed as it retracts on It's own, but I am not 100% sure. the 5th box I turned off Prime and there is still defects in the same area that appears to be where the wipe is.

I can't figure out if I need Min Jump[mm] turned higher than 1, or to put it at 0. He uses 4mm z lift, I am trying it but I'm not sure if its screwing me over from his I can tell it shouldn't.
This is his, you can tell where the start and end of a layer is, but there is no pimples or anything.
This is his, you can tell where the start and end of a layer is, but there is no pimples or anything.
this is his, quality is awesome. I'm super jealous, here you can tell where the start and end of the layer are, but I can't get results like that.
has use corner and the prime turned on.
has use corner and the prime turned on.
this has prime turned on and has use corners I believe. definitely terrible quality.
In any of the red print's I don't have these defects, no idea what caused these.
In any of the red print's I don't have these defects, no idea what caused these.
Solid strings with de-stringing on. 4.25 I think is the distance at 25mm/s
Solid strings with de-stringing on. 4.25 I think is the distance at 25mm/s
the marks where the wipe is are disgusting, they aren't as pimpley as the 4th box, prime is set to 0 here.
the marks where the wipe is are disgusting, they aren't as pimpley as the 4th box, prime is set to 0 here.
Here is a quick video I made of my settings.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aAR563r ... e=youtu.be

Any help would be appreciated. I reached out to Michael but he's a busy guy and he never got back to me, so I turn to the forum.

Thank you in advance, I'd really like to get away from Simplify 3d and use this slicer, I hear great things about it. I just wish it was more simple to use! =)
EddyMI3D

Re: This slicer is far from simple =)

Post by EddyMI3D »

Hello!
This stringing and corners look really bad.
I'll do a test print here before I give any hints for optimizing your settings.
But you may update to the recent version of KS: https://www.dropbox.com/sh/3evahzu5gfel ... lease?dl=0

Regards,
Eddy
EddyMI3D

Post by EddyMI3D »

So I just finished the base.
It came absolutely fine, No strings, no bad corners.
I had a look on your settings.
Here are some parameters where I have different values.

Style -> Depth (lower right) 0.5
Style -> Jitter° 360

Printer -> Speed -> Perimeter I prefer to print the perimeter slower because it is on the outside and visible. I have a value of 30 for fast and 15 for precise. You may can set to 40 and 20.

Material -> Prime To prime a value of Zero is bad. According to the manual, Prime has to be even or greater than Suck. In your case it should be at least 4.25 mm
Material -> Trigger You may set this to a lower value (With me it's 10 mm)
Material -> Fan/Cool -> Loops Some more cooling is recommendable for the structure should get solid soon. (I have a value of 90%)
Material -> Fan/Cool -> Inside should also have same cooling. About 60% or so.
Material -> Z-lift I omitted this and have a value of 0

Here some points that could be helpful:
Style -> Skin with 4mm is, for my opinion, way overrated for the most models. I have 1.25 mm
Support -> Z Gap I put the value of one layer height in here. In your case 0.25mm. This helps to remove the support much easier.

I hope these hints can make your prints better.

Regards,
Eddy
sLpFhaWK

Post by sLpFhaWK »

EddyMI3D wrote:So I just finished the base.
It came absolutely fine, No strings, no bad corners.
I had a look on your settings.
Here are some parameters where I have different values.

Style -> Depth (lower right) 0.5
Style -> Jitter° 360

Printer -> Speed -> Perimeter I prefer to print the perimeter slower because it is on the outside and visible. I have a value of 30 for fast and 15 for precise. You may can set to 40 and 20.

Material -> Prime To prime a value of Zero is bad. According to the manual, Prime has to be even or greater than Suck. In your case it should be at least 4.25 mm
Material -> Trigger You may set this to a lower value (With me it's 10 mm)
Material -> Fan/Cool -> Loops Some more cooling is recommendable for the structure should get solid soon. (I have a value of 90%)
Material -> Fan/Cool -> Inside should also have same cooling. About 60% or so.
Material -> Z-lift I omitted this and have a value of 0

Here some points that could be helpful:
Style -> Skin with 4mm is, for my opinion, way overrated for the most models. I have 1.25 mm
Support -> Z Gap I put the value of one layer height in here. In your case 0.25mm. This helps to remove the support much easier.

I hope these hints can make your prints better.

Regards,
Eddy
Hi Eddy, thank you for the response! I am on the latest version 1.15 win 64 version.

I actually have a .4mm set for Style -> Skin 4mm would be super thick lol

As for Prime and Suck I did have it set to the same value albeit .05 less for prime than I did suck and I had huge pimples, but I'll give your settings a go and see what happens =)

Will update once completed.
sLpFhaWK

Post by sLpFhaWK »

Eddy,

I just finished the base, and I will say it came out way better!! Thank you! I am still having a slight issue with pimples though, you can definitely tell where the start of a layer is. Should i change the prime to help reduce these?
Pimples!
Pimples!
Attachments
another angle, not as good as above.
another angle, not as good as above.
EddyMI3D

Post by EddyMI3D »

Hello!

Nice it is better now.
For the blobs, you may can reduce the prime a bit.
I would recommend first to fiddle around a bit with Gap in Style->Seam Hiding. You can try this a bit larger.
But for the test prints just use a simple cube (e.g. 20mm x 20mm x 20mm), it is faster and does not consume so much filament.
sLpFhaWK

Post by sLpFhaWK »

EddyMI3D wrote:Hello!

Nice it is better now.
For the blobs, you may can reduce the prime a bit.
I would recommend first to fiddle around a bit with Gap in Style->Seam Hiding. You can try this a bit larger.
But for the test prints just use a simple cube (e.g. 20mm x 20mm x 20mm), it is faster and does not consume so much filament.
So I printed another base, and the pimples are still there but far less noticeable. I'm going to tweak the gap settings with 20mm cubes and try it again.

The only bummer is the filament I am using here prints different than my main brand, I mostly use Inland and I'm printing Atomic Dark Cherry Red and it doesn't like bed roughness at .25 i need to use a .1 for this.

more trial and error. I wish all filaments printed the same =)