Support & Raft setting for in between gap

haile_ww

Support & Raft setting for in between gap

Post by haile_ww »

Hi Guys
Thanks for having this great forum.

Question:- On the support tab of kisslicer setting I chose
Raft = Grid , Gap : 2 , Support: Coarse , inflate Support : 0
My problem is, when Cubex print the Raft the horizontal gap between each extrusion line is very small
and it makes it very difficult to clean up the raft from the object.
How can I increase the gap between each Raft extrusion at least to be 1.5 - 2 mm ?

2, I have faced the same problem with the support extrusion ?
Attachments
Support material gap problem
Support material gap problem
Raft gap problem
Raft gap problem
Last edited by haile_ww on 19 Sep 2016, 07:17, edited 1 time in total.
haile_ww

Re: Raft setting for in between gap

Post by haile_ww »

Hi guys

After posting my question, naturally I went looking in to other posts.
and I came across related conversation back on 2014 and led me to check the newer versions.
I was using kisslicer 1.1 stable version but on the Kisslicer v1.5 RC2 there are a lot of settings for the support material.
I just download it and about to check it out.
What I needed was control on the xy gap. And I have got it on the beta version 1.5 rc.

if you have any suggestion I will surely appreciate it.
haile_ww

Post by haile_ww »

Hi

As I have mentioned it on the last post I have got enough control to manipulate the Raft settings according to my preference.
I have also noticed that gap between support extrusions on XY plain can be affected by support setting from coarse to dense and so on.

The only problem I am facing which is presented on the attached images on the previous posts is :-
1, When the support material needs to support a horizontal surface with 1 mm height from the print bed the settings has no effect. The support material extrusion is tight. It becomes a solid surface which makes it extremely difficult to clean up. I have to print a prototype and it needs to be printed facing down.

If anybody has a suggestion on how to have at least 0.5 mm gap between support material extrusions.
Unless the support material extrusions fuse with each other I can clean them up using sand paper.
lonesock

Post by lonesock »

Hi!

The support is actually made with 2 different portions: the main support, and the interface. The main support can be set to coarse, dense, etc. Then, right before the part is printed on top of the support, there are a few layers of interface. (That interface can be a different material.)

Under the [Support] tab there is a box labeled "Support / Object Interface", and inside that there is a checkbox "[X] Solid". That is referring to the interface. If that box is checked, uncheck it. The solid option is really only useful when the interface is a material that wont bond too strongly to the part material.

Jonathan
haile_ww

Post by haile_ww »

Thanks for the replay lonesock.

I appreciate your explanation on the nature of the support material as main support and interface.
The solid checkbox was unchecked.
As you said the main support material is controlled by settings coarse, dense etc.
But I still couldn't control the interface [ closest support material to the object ] by any setting.
My cubex has only one extruder therefore both the object and support are one material which makes it difficult even to see the separation line.
If I can at least get 1mm gap between the support interface extrusions I can use various tools to remove the support.
On the simulation it looks as if there is enough gap between the extrusions but when it prints it, the result is solid.
I have attached the simulation image and the printed image.

If anyone has any suggestion on how to affect the support interface ? I would be glad to test it.
Attachments
20160909_144107.jpg
simulation.png
haile_ww

Post by haile_ww »

Hi

I have been trying to solve the support sticking to the object tightly problem.
primarily this problem is vital for me since I have only one extruder on my cube x.
I have found the best economic and easy support structure on CubitMod 5B5
I am using
kisslicer V1.5 Beta
CubitMod 5B5
The support structure is light and easy to remove since I set support to coarse.
I have found this combination of kisslicer & CubitMod to be best for printing using PLA material.
When it comes to ABS it kept on bending [warping] and even it kept on bending after I removed it from the print bed.
As I said It works well for PLA.
CubitMod 5B5 in my opinion needs some improvement.
In the middle support structure cubitMod 5B5 creats suspended prints which I like the most. Some of these beautiful suspended supports rises up and the z level sensor kept on colliding with them and it required me to cut off at least 2 to 3 times per print. I don't mind cutting it off, I just wish to mention it for further development.
I have found CubitMod 5B5 to be the most practical. I think right now CubitMod 491 is the popular one.
I have been using it for a while.

Oh! I am not yet sure if it really helped but I have reduced the support flow rate and the support structure was built separately which makes the removal work much easier. The interface support also has been built as separate extrusions.
Attachments
20160919_150736.jpg
Support settings on KISSlicer v1.5 Beta 2.10 with CubitMod 5B5
Support settings on KISSlicer v1.5 Beta 2.10 with CubitMod 5B5
In the middle of printing process
In the middle of printing process