Abs print lifts, NOT bed adhesion related

Ironsight

Abs print lifts, NOT bed adhesion related

Post by Ironsight »

Hi,

I've been printing small parts in abs with 0.1mm layer height. I'm using a modified Solidoodle 4, extruder temp set to 200 (they read lower values than actual), and a bed temp of 115 C.

I've recently fixed my adhesion problem but now I notice that some parts of the print will stick to the current layer being printed and lift up.
This mostly happens when printing overhangs. I hypothesize that the layer that is being printed on is too hot still and has not had time to "set".

I've done some research and read that I should install a fan, although that might cause warping with abs parts.
I've also heard of people turning down the bed temperature after the first layer.

Has anyone experienced this problem and has any insight as to a solution?
PenskeGuy

Re: Abs print lifts, NOT bed adhesion related

Post by PenskeGuy »

This sounds like you are not getting enough adhesion between layers. Raise the material printing temp, so that there is a) more "squish" with each path upon the layer below and b) more partial melting of the layer below so that the two become one fused structure, and see if it works as expected.
Davide Ardizzoia

Post by Davide Ardizzoia »

Use raft.

Best Regards
Davide Ardizzoia
Pgregory

Post by Pgregory »

Also cut down the fan speed. Or turn it off.
If the hot layer cools too quickly, it will contract quickly and pull up parts.
PenskeGuy

Post by PenskeGuy »

Raft isn't a solution to upper layers.
OP says that there is no fan and should one be installed.
Davide Ardizzoia

Post by Davide Ardizzoia »

Penske, you're right. APologize having overlooked.

About overhang/delamination: thinner layer are known to have less interlayer adhesion due to quicker cooling. Try thicker layaers (to promote adhesion) and larger extrusion (to help woth overhangs)

Best Regards
Davide Ardizzoia
PenskeGuy

Post by PenskeGuy »

Good ideas. I'd also suggest, seeing as how there's a heated bed, to build an enclosure around the printer to keep heat in and provide a more stable environment. Sometimes, a slight draft going through the printer will disrupt the state enough to cause issues. Keep those out and keep the heat in, however slight that may be, and it'll make a surprising difference. Having a steady-state environment is worth the minimal hassle of having an enclosure of some sort.

I do it with foam board. Some pieces are quasi-permanent and others lift out of the way easily. Good insulator, rigid and inexpensive.
metaldrgn

Post by metaldrgn »

I suggest using another material. ABS is an annoyance for me and I rarely use it. Depending on your application you could use a variety of other materials that would give you a better end result like PET+, PETG, PLA, nylons, etc.
Epop

Post by Epop »

#1, you could tune your PID settings so your temp is more accurate... http://reprap.org/wiki/PID_Tuning
#2, I print mainly ABS- FAR less bendy, more hard than PLA. if you don't need it, don't use it.
#3, Controlled chamber is REQUIRED for ABS (imo) Heated is more better.

Heated bed helps platform adhesion, heated chamber DRASTICALLY reduces warp all around, including layer to layer as well as overall.
3D Systems - CubePro Trio (triple head printer)
--Modified to RepRap standards using Duet and the x4 expansion
-e3d Kraken, heated bed added.
Kisslicer Pro licenced