Saving Complete Slicer Profiles

inventabuild

Saving Complete Slicer Profiles

Post by inventabuild »

Is there a way to save all the slicer settings in a file for later use? This file would include all the settings in the tabs Style, Support, Ext Map, Printer, Printer G-code, Matl, Matl G-code, Misc., PRO.

I have two printers, each with different hot end nozzle diameters, different filaments, etc, so it would be very beneficial if I could have saved files with all the slicer settings instead of changing the tabs one by one whenever I switch from one 3D printer to the other.
plexus
Site Admin

Re: Saving Complete Slicer Profiles

Post by plexus »

no. but on a mac you could create a directory for each printer in the finder and put a copy of ks in each with its own ini files. you can probably do this on windoze etc but i dont know the specifics.
inventabuild

Post by inventabuild »

Thanks for the workaround suggestion. Still it would be nice if Jonathan would allow us to create a settings file so we could avoid this overhead maintenance.
plexus
Site Admin

Post by plexus »

inventabuild wrote:Thanks for the workaround suggestion. Still it would be nice if Jonathan would allow us to create a settings file so we could avoid this overhead maintenance.
I agree. I have to keep some of the more detailed parameters set and not optimized for each print in order to reduce overhead in resetting them when I want to re-print a job. I've started using Slic3r instead of KS because I need the parameters and over-all additions since the last stable KS build but KS beta doesn't produce printable good often now. I don't like using Sli3r but what can you do. hopefully lonesome will be back on KS and fix some of these things and include project saving.
inventabuild

Post by inventabuild »

I have two Lulzbot TAZ 4's and they recommend using their customized version of Cura. Probably nothing more than initialing it w/ some simple settings like bed size. I'm actually getting some good prints w/ it although when KISSlicer is working right nothing can beat it. I'm getting some gaps in some of my prints w/ KISSlicer, but Cura seems to handle these prints pretty well for some reason. Wondering if Cura might have a way of making things fit when the extrusion width doesn't match the width in the print exactly...oh well it's working for me good enough whatever it is.

Mattercontrol is supposed to be something in the middle between the simplicity of Cura and the complexity of Slic3r. I'm dual extruding w/ my new Chimera hot end and when I tried Mattercontrol and entered the X and Y offset for extruder # 2, the Y offset didn't register for some reason so my second color printed skewed from my first color (might try entering the offsets in gcode w/ M218 next). Matterhackers (the owners of Mattercontrol) recognized this as a bug that their working on fixing. Other than that it seemed like a respectable slicer in the limited testing I did. By the way the guys at Matterhackers are very helpful. They actually have real people that answer the phone.

I didn't try Craftware because it doesn't support dual extrusion. I'm sure theirs others out there as well, but I have a day job, etc and just haven't had the time to find and test them all.

Just thought I'd mention it since it seems like you might be kinda between a rock and a hard place right now.

Edit: Forgot to mention Simplify3D, but some people are reporting issues w/ blobbing because of the way it retracts and I don't like it's dual extruder support.
Last edited by inventabuild on 31 May 2015, 18:37, edited 1 time in total.
Davide Ardizzoia

Post by Davide Ardizzoia »

In multi machine settings, having a way to quickly switch between two printer setups would be great.
The bottom left screen area could be perfect for this.
Now, if only we could get back Lonesock from deep space...

Best Regards
Davide Ardizzoia
plexus
Site Admin

Post by plexus »

@inventabuild. thanks for synopsies of the various slicers. that was helpful. for now I will use Slic3r if I can't get KS to work. some models KS works great and with other it fails due to bugs.

@davide agreed. its not a good thing when a dev drops out like that so hopefully LS is ok and will get back to KS soon. KS could become the best slicer out there with bug fixes and a new easy to use UI.
Davide Ardizzoia

Post by Davide Ardizzoia »

KS failing due to bugs ?
Can share more info about that ?

Best Regards
Davide Ardizzoia
inventabuild

Post by inventabuild »

All 3d printers calling Jonathan, where are u?
plexus
Site Admin

Post by plexus »

@davide Ive posted about it in the beta 1.5 thread. I am finding prints with thin walls and small enclosed spaces result in unprintable gcode from beta 1.5. increasing over sampling helps but is unusably slow and doesnt always solve the problem.