Dual Extruder Retractions

inventabuild

Dual Extruder Retractions

Post by inventabuild »

I'm curious the merits of 1 vs 2 below when there is an extruder change:

1. Reduce the non-printing extruder temp to its <Warm> temp and just utilize the Material Suck setting for retraction.
2. Create extra retraction (writing code in the Printer G-code area) to move the filament up away from the heating element while leaving the extruder at its normal (Main) extrusion temperature.

I don't like to wait for the non-printing extruder to heat up to its extrusion temp from its <Warm> temp when it's time for it to start printing so I thought I'd keep it up to temp and just retract the filament far enough away from the heating element to avoid any cooking issues, for example with PLA.

Any thoughts?
inventabuild

Re: Dual Extruder Retractions

Post by inventabuild »

In the end I answered my own question. With dual extruders it's difficult to get both extruders exactly the same height so if both extruders are kept at their max extrusion temp then the lowest extruder can too easily carve tracks in the extrusion of the higher one as they both travel over the same areas. So lowering the temp of the non-working extruder to a Keep Warm temp (perhaps 65% of extrusion temp) is what I will do.
Davide Ardizzoia

Re: Dual Extruder Retractions

Post by Davide Ardizzoia »

If you want dual extrusion you MUST have perfect "z" aligment of nozzles +or+ retractable nozzles.
Anything else is a compromise...compromising your print quality.

Best Regards
Davide Ardizzoia