Specific Layer Speed Changes

inventabuild

Specific Layer Speed Changes

Post by inventabuild »

How do I change the speed of certain specific layers? I am insetting text into a part w/ a dual extruder and I want those text layers to run slower than the rest of the print.
0110-m-p

Re: Specific Layer Speed Changes

Post by 0110-m-p »

EDIT: After rereading the original question I realized I didn't exactly answer it. As far as I know you can't specify a printer speed for a given set of layers.
Printer: Rostock Max w/ E3D V5 hotend and lots of upgrades/modifications
Mikk36

Post by Mikk36 »

inventabuild wrote:How do I change the speed of certain specific layers? I am insetting text into a part w/ a dual extruder and I want those text layers to run slower than the rest of the print.
Manually edit the G-code after saving from Kisslicer (or any other slicer, to be fair).
http://reprap.org/wiki/G-code#M220:_Set ... percentage

Don't forget to bump the speed back up to normal afterwards though.
For more hardcore editing you can also modify only the feedrates of the necessary moves.
Msquare

Post by Msquare »

The problem with the speed adjustment it is a GLOBAL adjustment. The travel movements also speed up, which may be a problem if they are at maximum, as it is only the print speed we want to change. At that (firmware) level in the Gcode, you cant tell the difference. (It would be SO NICE if the Gcode used a seperate G-command for the different moves - print, move, wipe, snap-filament-off - then the firmware can apply speedup/slow down and other fancy stuff only to relevant moves)
inventabuild

Post by inventabuild »

So if I change the print speed using this found in the Wiki

M220: Set speed factor override percentage
Example: M220 S80
S<factor in percent>- set speed factor override percentage

will the extrusion flow rate and other variables automatically adjust to account for the new print speed or will I need to manually adjust all the other variables that are affected by the new print speed?
inventabuild

Post by inventabuild »

...and where would I put this M220 code to affect both materials and what gcode do I need to add to make it layers specific?
Mikk36

Post by Mikk36 »

It affects everything, printing, moves, extrusion rate, retractions rate etc.

Just open up the saved gcode file in a text editor, find the layer you want to change your speed at and add that code before it.
Kisslicer writes into the gcode every time it starts with a new layer, for example: ; BEGIN_LAYER_OBJECT z=0.80