Befuddled by nozzle sizes

bobstro

Befuddled by nozzle sizes

Post by bobstro »

I've been getting familiar with KISSlicer for about a week now. I'm quite impressed, and have been gradually getting comfortable with the way things work. I'm running a Prusa i3 Mk3 with PJR's Mk3 profiles downloaded from the KISS site. I've had good luck with basic prints, and even some of the variable layer settings. However, I've hit a wall with trying different nozzle sizes. My understanding is that I should only change the nozzle diameter (Printer->Extruder Hardware->Ext#1->NoDia1) and extrusion width (Style->Extrusion Width) and everything else should be calculated properly. I've tried doing these steps with a 0.25mm nozzle and had severe over-extrusion and distortion to the point that the 1st layer wouldn't complete. Am I missing some steps?
pjr

Re: Befuddled by nozzle sizes

Post by pjr »

Welcome :)

Nozzle length also needs changing, and also infill extrusion width, but there's not a lot more off the top of my head.

Zip up a G-code and project file and upload here; I will have a look.

Thanks

Peter
bobstro

Re: Befuddled by nozzle sizes

Post by bobstro »

pjr wrote:Welcome :)
Thanks!
Nozzle length also needs changing, and also infill extrusion width, but there's not a lot more off the top of my head.
Ah, nozzle length seems to be the key. I misunderstood that setting completely. I had copied values from the 0.40mm profile, so the extrusion issue makes sense. I just tried using 0.60mm nozzle using the E3D nozzle lengths quoted in the E3D PDF column C that I was able to locate after searching for "nozzle length" here. I just printed a test part and it looks good. I'll try a 0.25mm nozzle again shortly.

Many thanks!