Kisslicer documentation and some uestions

Tinchus2009

Kisslicer documentation and some uestions

Post by Tinchus2009 »

Hi all!
My name is Martin, I have been printing since 2 years so far, as a hobby. Since the beggining I use different slicers, so far is like to me there is no only 1 slicer, many of them have features unique or that work best in one than others. I never tried kisslicer, since now that I saw a video from mr Hackney. I decided to give it a try. And it surprised me. Some featues are really good! Some... are not, specially the lack of documentation/manuals.
I would preciate is somebody could explain me the following doubts/questions:

1.- it suprprise me the external quality of the prints. To my experience I have been trying t answer myself "why: , and I notice that path geenration is really much much better than in other slicers, and may be this is makeing that as paths are more "soft" regarding change of direction, islands, etc, may be that makes the hotend pressure to stay more stable, doing that printing quality is better? Am I right?

2.- I have not been able to find bridging settings, do they exist? how does kisslicer handles bridging? I can see in the color reference chart that bridges are detected, but can see any setting to control printing on them.

3.- I read in forum that adaptative layer exist, but how? It seems to be automatic but is there any ay to control it manually? Anly settings I found is in layer control settings in the form of setting min and max % of layer height. How daes kisslicer assign a layer height to the different parts of a print?

4-. Bottom stepover and top? what do they mean? The quick tip i get is that refers to how much each layer will overlap the previous one... but that means exactly that? Because that would create a lot of overextrusiuon in those layers if the default overlap is 50% is used..? o kisslicer also reduces flow to account for this? And wat is the purpose of this?

5.- What is the use for JOINT?

6.- What is the use for INSET SURFACE?

7.- ther eis no way to move the object in the print bed right?

Lot of question (and still I tried to ask for the ones that worries me the most jajajaja)

Thanks in advance for the answers
pjr

Re: Kisslicer documentation and some uestions

Post by pjr »

Tinchus2009 wrote:Hi all!
Hi Martin; welcome to the wondeful world of KISS!

I will attempt to answer your queries, although I am not particularly proficient, but KISS has been my slicer of choice for some years...

Tinchus2009 wrote:1.- it suprprise me the external quality of the prints. To my experience I have been trying t answer myself "why: , and I notice that path geenration is really much much better than in other slicers, and may be this is makeing that as paths are more "soft" regarding change of direction, islands, etc, may be that makes the hotend pressure to stay more stable, doing that printing quality is better? Am I right?
This one is a bit of a mystery; all I know is that I get very good quality prints from KISS. I guess if the other slicer producers knew the answer, they would do the same...
Tinchus2009 wrote:2.- I have not been able to find bridging settings, do they exist? how does kisslicer handles bridging? I can see in the color reference chart that bridges are detected, but can see any setting to control printing on them.
Bridging does not have many parameters, but they are set on the Settings/Matl tab, with the main setting being Flow Adjust/Cool [mm^3/s] and the Fan-Cool/Cool is used proportionally based on the lack of support.
Tinchus2009 wrote:3.- I read in forum that adaptative layer exist, but how? It seems to be automatic but is there any ay to control it manually? Anly settings I found is in layer control settings in the form of setting min and max % of layer height. How daes kisslicer assign a layer height to the different parts of a print?
Adaptive layer height is all automatic and depends on the Settings/Style/Layer Control/Stepover which determines how much of the current layer path should overlap the previous layer path (50% is a good start value for both bottom and top).
Tinchus2009 wrote:4-. Bottom stepover and top? what do they mean? The quick tip i get is that refers to how much each layer will overlap the previous one... but that means exactly that? Because that would create a lot of overextrusiuon in those layers if the default overlap is 50% is used..? o kisslicer also reduces flow to account for this? And wat is the purpose of this?
Relates to adaptive layer heights. See previous answer.
Tinchus2009 wrote:5.- What is the use for JOINT?
Only used when you are printing multiple models with multiple extruders with adaptive layer heights. Synchronises the layer heights of all models.
Tinchus2009 wrote:6.- What is the use for INSET SURFACE?
Makes the X/Y printed model dimensions slightly smaller
Tinchus2009 wrote:7.- ther eis no way to move the object in the print bed right?
Wrong, but only basic front/rear and left/right movements are possible and it applies to all models on the bed. Sliders on right of Settings window.

Hope this helps!

Peter
hacker

Post by hacker »

While I was about to answer, Peter did, two things I can add:
2.- I have not been able to find bridging settings, do they exist? how does kisslicer handles bridging? I can see in the color reference chart that bridges are detected, but can see any setting to control printing on them.
Just worth noting that KISSLicer doesn't do bridging well, yet. But it does dual extrusion so well now in 2.0 beta that maybe it can be compensated by using soluble supports :)
3.- I read in forum that adaptative layer exist, but how? It seems to be automatic but is there any ay to control it manually? Anly settings I found is in layer control settings in the form of setting min and max % of layer height. How daes kisslicer assign a layer height to the different parts of a print?
It's percentage of extrusion width, not layer height. Also it can be set as absolute values as long as it doesn't exceed extrusion width, IIRC. And yes, they're assigned based on these constraints and the model needs (like the angle of the wall).
Tinchus2009

Post by Tinchus2009 »

Thanks Both for your answers!!!!!
A coulple of extra questions:
Tinchus2009 wrote:
6.- What is the use for INSET SURFACE?
Makes the X/Y printed model dimensions slightly smaller
Tip tools says has to be >cero and < extrusion width/2. If extrusion is 0.2 that means aceptable values will be between cero and 0.2. So introduceing a value here will shrink the object ONLY in the X/y that value. So what is the difference with the shrink option we have in the material tab? do they give the same result?
Tinchus2009 wrote:

Bridging does not have many parameters, but they are set on the Settings/Matl tab, with the main setting being Flow Adjust/Cool [mm^3/s] and the Fan-Cool/Cool is used proportionally based on the lack of support.
Yes, this was a question I forgot: I noticed that bridges speed is automatically slowed down a lot, what is that value? or that value is the one set in the MAT> Flow adjust > Cool (mm3/s). Tool tip there says is for overhangs, and that cooler will be at full speed? is that so?

It's percentage of extrusion width, not layer height.
Just for the record if any other noob like me reads this: this should say "it is percentage of noozle size, not layer height right? because a 0.4 noozle can produce a 0.68 extrusion width. That means that the defaul value of 75% would give me a layer height of 0.51 wich is too tall for a 0.4 noozle (the basic theory says layer height can not be more than 0.3 for a 0.4 noozle)
pjr

Post by pjr »

Quick reply this time.

I usually print with an extrusion width the same as the nozzle diameter (=0.4mm); shrink can therefore operate between Zero and 0.2mm. The materual tab "shrinkage" is basically the opposite: "How much will the model shrink on cooling?" in other words, a percentage for how much larger to print the model (in all 3 axes) to end up at the correct size.

Bridges/overhangs; these are both (partly/fully) unsupported. Therefore "Cool" sets the max flow rate for this.

It is a percentage of extrusion width, not layer height or nozzle size. Generally, you want an extruded line to be supported by about 50% of the line below. This determines the best layer height.

Peter
hacker

Post by hacker »

It's percentage of the extrusion width that is set on the same setting page above the layer control box. The setting is unsurprisingly called "Extrusion Width".