Cutting an object into kisslicer and printing the two halves

Cutting an object into kisslicer and printing the two halves

Postby woody3dp » 02 Oct 2017, 08:14

Hi,
I want to print an object which take a lot of time. So I want to cut it in half to print one half at a time and reduce printing time. I use lower mesh in Z and use a value which is half the height. So it's ok for the top half.
Then I want to print the object from the base until the half, but I don't know how to do it. I don't want it to be flipped upside down. How can I do this ?
woody3dp

Re: Cutting an object into kisslicer and printing the two ha

Postby lonesock » 02 Oct 2017, 17:51

I would first transform the mesh->Flip upside down (also in the model tab's right-click menu), then Lower Mesh in Z. You can load the mesh twice and just invert the second one.

thanks,
Jonathan
lonesock

Postby woody3dp » 04 Oct 2017, 02:25

Thanks for your help Jonathan, I think I might miss something because I can't do it. In fact, I want to print:
- first: from the base to the half
- second: from the half to the top
Then I would just have to glue the two parts.
I know how to do the second one: lower mesh in Z and just slice it.
But concerning the first one, when I flip it vertically and slice it, it's printing from the middle of the object to the base (I want to slice it from the base to the half). If I could cut the object, I know I would just have to flip it again and slice...or perhaps there is a way to slice an object only to a desired Z value...
I'm a bit lost...
woody3dp

Postby pjr » 04 Oct 2017, 02:48

For cutting object like this, I use NetFabb Basic (it was supplied in the PR drivers package).

Just cut the model at the Z-height you need and save the 2 parts.

Peter
Please note: I do not have any affiliation with KISSlicer. Any advices given are offered in good faith. It is your responsibility to ensure that by following my advice you do not suffer or cause injury, damage or loss.
pjr

Postby woody3dp » 04 Oct 2017, 08:51

Ok Peter thanks, I thought I could do it into kisslicer itself. I will try netfabb, I never used it before.
woody3dp

Postby pjr » 05 Oct 2017, 06:20

woody3dp wrote:Ok Peter thanks, I thought I could do it into kisslicer itself. I will try netfabb, I never used it before.

Yeah, it really is very simple. I use it quite a lot for model repair; when it can't repair the model, I try MakePrintable.com

Peter
Please note: I do not have any affiliation with KISSlicer. Any advices given are offered in good faith. It is your responsibility to ensure that by following my advice you do not suffer or cause injury, damage or loss.
pjr

Postby woody3dp » 06 Oct 2017, 23:37

Right, netfabb is quite simple. I also didn't know makeprintable, the results are awesome !! :shock:
Thanks.
woody3dp

Postby pjr » 07 Oct 2017, 14:47

woody3dp wrote:Right, netfabb is quite simple. I also didn't know makeprintable, the results are awesome !! :shock:
Thanks.

Yeah, but keep it to yourself; we don't want everyone knowing, do we??? ;)

Peter
pjr

Return to Tips and tricks