Awful artefacts on some surfaces? Just remove on parameter..

Tutorius

Awful artefacts on some surfaces? Just remove on parameter..

Post by Tutorius »

Hi,
i tried to print a wing for a RC-plane, and it went good, but i got some weird looking artefakts on my surface. The artefacts are those arcs that are marked, the z-wobble is a thing of my printer...
IMG_0743 (Kopie 1).JPG
So i watched my parameters in KISSlicer and found the guilty one...
KISSArtefact.jpg
KISSArtefact.jpg (49.3 KiB) Viewed 1832 times
Just leave the underlined parameter to "0" and don't put something inside. I had put the resolution of my X- and Y-axis there (0,00625mm) and the result were those nice artefacts ... :)
lonesock

Re: Awful artefacts on some surfaces? Just remove on paramet

Post by lonesock »

Nice tip! Not having a minimum segment length does indeed give the best possible surface quality along curves like that.

The min segment length limit is useful because some printers will drop shorter segments...even consecutive ones! For example, if a path had 100 segments that were all 1/2 the minimum step size, the printer *should* ignore every other segment, but some firmware will ignore all the short segments until it finds a long segment. In that case you'd sometimes get a fat path traced directly across an arc! That's why the feature is turned on if a user entered the XY step size in the wizard...the artifacts from having it on can be better than ignored arcs. As an advanced user whose printer doesn't behave horribly, disabling it is ideal. [8^)

thanks,
Jonathan
LaPointe

Post by LaPointe »

Indeed, thanks for the tip!
I've tested it with my Prusa i3 MK2S last night and the surface quality of the piece I'm currently working is way better.
Tutorius

Post by Tutorius »

I am using a cheap china-CTC-prusa-clone, with changed hardware to a RAMPS-ARDUINO-system with marlin-firmware, and this combo seems to work well without this parameter.Perhaps some users who have printers with horrible behaviour about short segments can name their machines to make sure what firmware or printer type is affected?