Vase mode

woody3dp

Vase mode

Post by woody3dp »

Hi,
I'm actually designing various lamp shade, I use vase mode, but there is always an unsightly seam (even if I try to hide it the best I can).
The best would be to spiral the perimeter instead of printing one perimeter after another. I've tried to tweak a lot of parameters to achieve this but it doesn't work (I've also searched the forums). Perhaps it's simply not possible ? Or is there a special tip to do this ?
Thanks a lot.
pjr

Re: Vase mode

Post by pjr »

I believe that this is one of the (very few) features available in other slicers, but not yet available within KISS. I don't know what will be included in V2, but this is something which a few people have requested.

It may be possible to achieve close to "spiral" mode by setting all the following to 0 or off: Join-loop, Jitter, seam depth, gap, destring, wipe, z-lift and maybe preload.

Peter
woody3dp

Post by woody3dp »

Thank you Peter, I've tried your tip:

On the left, best seam I could achieve (not acceptable), on the right everything to 0 and Off (even preload):
IMG_3641.JPG
it improves things, but a real vase mode would be awesome, I can not wait for KS V2. I prefer using slic3r concerning vase mode for the moment.
pjr

Post by pjr »

I have just tried slicing in "vase" mode but with 2 perimeters, Join-loop set to "Seam" and seam depth/gap set to my usual settings, but with all the other settings at 0 (destring etc).

This still treats the void in the centre as the inside and ends up hiding the seam quite well.

Of course, this only works is you want to have 2 perimeters, but for a water-holding vase I would imagine you would. Maybe not so much for a lamp shade though...

Peter
woody3dp

Post by woody3dp »

Ok thank you Peter I will remember those values for a vase project.
For my project, 1 perimeter is what I needed and here's the result:
Img_3656.jpg
Img_3657.jpg
pjr

Post by pjr »

That looks really nice.

I did a couple of prints, with 1 and 2 perimeters. The one perimeter print had a much better seam than the two-perimeter print.

Peter
EddyMI3D

Post by EddyMI3D »

AHH! Really great, Woody!
woody3dp

Post by woody3dp »

Thank you EddyMi3D :D
nurbie

Post by nurbie »

Is there any progress on Vase/Spiral mode?
I can't use the 2.0 Alpha, it just doesn't work on my Mac...might have a PC to try later this week.
Regardless, I know I've been 'decommissioned' for a year, maybe the KS team has been as well.