Extrusion Width vs Infill Extrusion Width

inventabuild

Extrusion Width vs Infill Extrusion Width

Post by inventabuild »

Does anyone have a preference for keeping the Infill Extrusion Width slightly greater than the Extrusion Width or do most people keep these values the same?
Davide Ardizzoia

Re: Extrusion Width vs Infill Extrusion Width

Post by Davide Ardizzoia »

Usually I increaase infill 20% more than perimeter width.
But it's more a tradiction than rational choice.

Brgds
Davide Ardizzoia
inventabuild

Post by inventabuild »

Wow, thanks for the info, I had not read of anyone bumping it up by that much percentage-wise. Do you know if KISSlicer just bumps up the rate of extrusion flowing from the nozzle to accomplish the extra infill width? Also, have you seen any difference in the surface quality of the parts by having the Infill Width that much bigger than the Loop Width?
PenskeGuy

Post by PenskeGuy »

Hmmmm... seems that an update to the Solid Cube Calibration may be in order. Usually, it is a balancing act between the Loop metrics and the Infill surface quality. With them being independently adjustable, the matrix just got a magnitude larger. So much for the KISS concept. we said back on the original forum that KS should be renamed or offer two versions that are appropriately named. Good luck with that getting traction....
Dreide

Post by Dreide »

inventabuild wrote:Do you know if KISSlicer just bumps up the rate of extrusion flowing from the nozzle to accomplish the extra infill width?
Eh, how else could you increase extrusion width? Extrusion width is always a matter of flow rate (vs. feed rate, of course).
inventabuild wrote:Also, have you seen any difference in the surface quality of the parts by having the Infill Width that much bigger than the Loop Width?
Which surface are you talking about? Vertical or top? For the top (and bottom) surfaces, "infill" width is always standard extrusion width. The same holds for intermediate layers if infill is set to 100%, no matter what the infill extrusion parameter tells you. With sparse infill the infill extrusion width is anyway not precise, because the material is not pushed against anything (close underneath) most of the time (depends on the infill pattern, of course). There is nothing wrong with cranking up the infill extrusion width then. Strange enough, in v1.4.6.10, if I set standard extrusion to 0.35 and infill to 100% (via "Set % infill") I get 50% infill with 0.7 infill extrusion width! I wonder when that bug found its way in.
Anyway, if you are talking about quality of vertical surfaces, two issues could play a role.
1. The "solid infill overlap" could not be taken properly into account (Printer/Hardware parameter). Actually, it just occurs to me that this parameter is weird anyway as an overlap makes more sense when the infill is sparse and the overlapping material has plenty space to spread. With "solid" infill, the infill-to-loop contact should be good anyway and over-extruding is counter-productive. Anyway, if there is too much overlap, the infill could press too hard against the loops and deform them, which might have an impact on surface quality (more loops are better in this respect).
2. If the flow rate used for the infill is much different from the flow rate used for the perimeter (due to different extrusion widths and/or different feed rates), it might be more difficult to get nice seams because the conditions in the extruder are very different before retraction (when finishing the infill) and after priming (when starting a new perimeter). If I print with difficult material, like FilaFlex, I actually keep flow and feed rate the same for perimeters, loops, and infill. This way, I have the least trouble getting nice seams.
NeoTheFox

Post by NeoTheFox »

PenskeGuy wrote:Hmmmm... seems that an update to the Solid Cube Calibration may be in order. Usually, it is a balancing act between the Loop metrics and the Infill surface quality. With them being independently adjustable, the matrix just got a magnitude larger. So much for the KISS concept. we said back on the original forum that KS should be renamed or offer two versions that are appropriately named. Good luck with that getting traction....
You have no idea what KISS means. Simple in KISS means simple software, not simple use or user experience. It means I can decide on every parameter there is, while software do less predictions and therefore stays simpler.
PenskeGuy

Post by PenskeGuy »

NeoTheFox wrote:You have no idea what KISS means. Simple in KISS means simple software, not simple use or user experience. It means I can decide on every parameter there is, while software do less predictions and therefore stays simpler.
I know full well what KISS means, pal, and you can stop telling me what I know. I've probably forgotten more than you'll ever come to know. Your take on it is... let's just say... interesting. :shock:
Yinzer

Post by Yinzer »

:D @PenskeGuy, you crack me up... :lol:

Now play nice
PenskeGuy

Post by PenskeGuy »

Happy to be of service. ;)