Seam Hiding Gap

inventabuild

Seam Hiding Gap

Post by inventabuild »

Does anyone know how Seam Hiding Gap works? The hover pop up message says "Gaps on loops: 1 is the theoretical ideal". What does this feature do?
Giovanni V.

Re: Seam Hiding Gap

Post by Giovanni V. »

After you've sliced the part click on "Paths", look at the path on the seam area, change the gap slice again and observe the difference.
inventabuild

Post by inventabuild »

Thanks for the suggestion. Seam Hiding Gap is how much of a gap there is between the start and end of a loop. The values go from 0 to 2. Are these values a % of something like extrusion width or absolute values like 1 mm for example?

Also, if Depth (the slider next to Seam Hiding Gap) is set to 0 the loop start / end gaps are obvious in the Path view, but as soon as I give Depth any value at all, for example 0.1, all gaps between the start and end of a loop are eliminated. Why does a Depth value of 0.1 eliminate a Seam Hiding Gap value of 2?
jaydie

Post by jaydie »

I'm interested to know more about this too, I can't see the difference between Gap of 0.0 and 2, maybe because I don't know what I am looking for. Anybody can post an image to show the difference please. thanks.
dorbar

Post by dorbar »

The very important factor in hiding a seam is a Jitter! this moves a start-end point of the loop to another position, so you don't get the seam always at the same position, which gives you that ugly vertical seam-line. Jitter, jitter, jitter :-)
mhackney

Post by mhackney »

Here you go, a set of different gaps so you can see what's going on.

0 gap, .5 gap, [1.0 gap], 1.5 gap, 2.0 gap
0 gap.png
0 gap.png (24.12 KiB) Viewed 3505 times
pt5 gap.png
pt5 gap.png (26.39 KiB) Viewed 3505 times
1pt0 gap.png
1pt0 gap.png (20.85 KiB) Viewed 3505 times
1pt5 gap.png
1pt5 gap.png (22.81 KiB) Viewed 3505 times
2pt0 gap.png
2pt0 gap.png (21.89 KiB) Viewed 3505 times
jsryork

Post by jsryork »

I have been having trouble with thin-walled objects (ok, modified stretchlets) having gaps. Some of this may be down to filament type/colour, or temperature of my workshop now we have frosty mornings in York, England.

I thought seam hiding jitter would help, as the part is breaking where the start/stop for each layer is.

I think that the seam hiding jitter does not work on layers for parts where the path is a single loop. I have made STL files for a simple hexagonal box with different wall thicknesses. When the thickness in my model is 1.6mm, I get two loops for the walls. I can play with the seam hiding settings, and I see the effect of gap, width, angle and jitter by looking at the paths at different Z-values. When I add another hex box with wall thickness 1.2mm, this slices with a single loop for the walls. These loops *always* start and finish at the same corner, regardless of the seam hiding settings.

I tried to post my _printers.ini and an STL for the two boxes, but the forum seems to reject .ini, .txt, .stl extensions - how can I do that ?

Thanks for any comments
John
Attachments
photo of stetchlet with break on upper layers near start/stop point.
photo of stetchlet with break on upper layers near start/stop point.
jsryork

Post by jsryork »

Hi, found forum talk which says use a zip file. Here are my printer settings and the two hex boxes.
Attachments
temp.zip
_printers.ini and stl for single and double wall hex boxes
(3.25 KiB) Downloaded 132 times